Over the years we have received many tips from share members about how to make the most of their CSA share so that they are able to fully enjoy their CSA experience. We would like to reframe the CSA share box as produce to be enjoyed and nourished with rather than something that needs to be used up!
- Invest in a salad spinner
- Unpack the CSA box at your pick-up site so that you see everything in that week’s box. Many members pick-up at a Co-op and can then grocery shop as well for ingredients to go along with the veggies in the box.
- Unpack your box or bags as soon as possible and take 15 minutes to prep veggies for easy use later (e.g. slice peppers, wash salad, trim radishes and place in a jar/bowl of water, etc)
- Fall in love with a new recipe book.
- Read the farm newsletter that comes with the CSA box.
- Follow a cooking blog.
- Get together with friends to make meals.
- Have your kids unpack the box with you.
- Attend a cooking class put on by the farm.
- Visit the farm with your kids to see where their food is grown.
- Make or buy simple dressings to liven up early greens.
- Follow our farm on Facebook – we often post recipes or cooking tips.
- Pick one night of the week to have a family meal where everyone cooks together and spends time together in the kitchen.
- Find simple ways to incorporate veggies into dishes you already make. Add peppers to pizza, carrots to muffins, kale to meatballs, beans to stew, fresh herbs to dressings or salads, greens to smoothies, shredded cabbage to salads, squash to chili, spinach and onion to scrambled eggs, etc.
Do you have other tips to share? If so, let us know and we will add them to the list!